I unexpectedly found myself (and my ten-month-old daughter) in the Nevada desert for the fourth of July. I thought I’d share a few worthy reasons to visit the inimitable city of Las Vegas.
- Cirque du Soleil. Seven worlds, one city. (Mystere, Ka and O are your best picks.)
- The Bellagio fountains. Every fifteen minutes, with the toll of the clock, spectacular dancing waters come to life on an 8-acre lake. Best seen at dusk.
- Green Valley Ranch. A short drive from the strip, this beautiful hotel boasts a lovely shopping district (complete with Anthropologie and a Whole Foods) and an unmatched poolside complete with quiet shaded cabanas, waterfalls and a sand beach.
- The architecture. Take a camera-ready ride through the city. Not to be missed: the nearly completed Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health.
- Serendipity 3. For the New York-inclined sweet tooth.
- BGFA. From now until January 2011, presenting Figuratively Speaking: A Survey of the Human Form, featuring works by Renoir, Hockney, Picasso, and Lichtenstein.
- The shows. From David Copperfield and Jerry Seinfield, to The Lion King and Cher, the city’s line-up is second-to-none.
Has anyone else made the trip? Recommendations?